For any UPS battery to work, distilled water is the crucial component. If you want an inverter to last long term, checking and refilling the distilled water is vital. In this piece, we expound upon distilled water’s:
What is Distilled Water
Water in its purest form is known as distilled water. It is free from all impurities so much so that it doesn’t even have any ions in it. Because it is so pure, distilled water is used in:
- inverter batteries
- car batteries
- biological laboratories
- aeroplane engines
It also has medical applications and is used to mix medicines while making injections. The process of making distilled water is simple.
- Boil water
- Capture the steam in a clean vessel
- Let it condense
The condensed vapour is distilled water. Therefore, pure water is extracted rather than made. The hard part of the process is to keep the water pure. Since the task is arduous, a lot of places switch distilled water with deionised water.
Why Does Exide Inverter Battery Use Distilled Water?
By now, we have answered the What and How of distilled water – what is it and how is it extracted. The next question to answer is why it is needed in batteries and inverters. Let’s assume that regular water is added to batteries, the water that we drink every day. This water has a lot of ions in it and when it is poured into the inverter, it clogs the electrodes. Slowly, over time, the ions form a layer on them. Finally, the chemical reaction that makes the battery work is obstructed and no current is generated.
If simple tap water is used, it will not only have ions but also dust particles and other organic material. This hampers the chemical reaction taking place inside the battery even further. Thus, the only way to ensure that an inverter works seamlessly and smoothly is to use water without impurities, i.e., distilled water. Some people would assume at this juncture that RO water should be safe to use too. The answer is an emphatic no.
Water purifiers do not remove the essential minerals from water because they are not only good for the health but needed by it too. Hence, RO water is not free of all ions, impurities, minerals, and particles. It means one cannot use the water to refill UPS batteries. RO water is good for the health but it is not a good alternative to distilled water.
Where To Get Distilled Water For Batteries In Chennai?
Now only two questions are left to answer as concerned with distilled water for Exide batteries in Chennai. Where can one get it and when should it be refilled? There are many places in Chennai where one can buy distilled water easily.
- Any petrol pump or station will have a stock of distilled water because they are also used in engines. Remember to buy a bottle that is properly sealed to ensure the water is free of impurities. Furthermore, always purchase it from a reputable station as many petrol pumps sell ordinary water masquerading as distilled. The cost of distilled water is about 50 bucks for a litre or less.
- Any shop that sells battery will also have a stock of distilled water. One can easily buy it there.
- A service station for cars will also have purified water because it is needed to refill the battery of the car and to test specific internal systems.
- If you need a small quantity of distilled water, then the best place to try is a pharmacist. They stock it because it is mixed with medicines that need to be injected. Such shops will have superior quality with a higher price tag than average.
To know when to refill the water in your battery check the indicator. If the index shows that the water level is below the recommended level, then replenish it. Another method is to keep a reminder in your calendar to check the water level at regular intervals and then refill it as and when needed.