Solar panels are typically exposed to everything because they are mounted on roofs. So, It is common to find leaves, bird droppings, dust, pollen, and even filth on the solar panels based on the factors like climate, location, or installation.
And as you've already guessed, anything that prevents light from going through is bad for the performance of your panel. This is why experts recommend cleaning solar panels twice a year.
Cleaning or maintaining solar panels is as vital as installing them. Solar panels are made up of different delicate materials. These substances have the potential to corrode or even start to degrade the panels if improperly cleaned or ignored. As a result, there may be a risk to public safety in addition to the reduction in solar production.
Continue reading this article to learn how to clean solar panels properly and what should be kept in mind. You'll also learn why it's important to clean solar panels regularly.
What makes solar panels dirty?
The one common issue that solar panel users deal with is dirty panels. An unclean solar panel poses a safety risk in addition to being an annoyance. They may reduce your system's productivity, which would increase your electricity costs. Your solar panels may be dusty for a number of reasons.
The following are a few common causes:
Water: If water enters the panel, it may lead to corrosion and lower output. Additionally, rainwater can seep inside your panel, resulting in damage and corrosion-related rusting all-around metal connectors.
Debris: Particles may get stuck and obstruct the free flow of electricity through the panels.
Dust: If you don't clean your solar panels frequently enough, dust might accumulate on them over time.
Manufacturers of solar panels claim that rainfall is sufficient to keep their panels clean. Even though rain would truly clean the solar panels, they are frequently not being rained on because they are positioned in the dry area.
What are the benefits of cleaning the solar panels?
Several solar panel users overlook the significance of regularly cleaning their panels. Your system's performance will suffer if you don't do this frequently enough because of the repellent layer of filth on them. The primary advantage of cleaning the solar panels is to maintain their functionality over time and prevent system degradation, which can lower energy output and raise maintenance costs.
Here are some advantages of cleaning solar panels:
- To increase effectiveness- Solar energy is converted into electricity by solar panels. The amount of light that is absorbed can be affected by dirt, debris, and rainfall on the panels surface, which lowers the system's efficiency. Cleaning your panels enables wear and tear and any damages to be repaired before they risk the efficiency or safety of your property.
- To keep your warranty valid - Owners of solar panels must frequently clean and maintain them, according to the manufacturers and technicians. Regularly cleaning your solar panels could void your warranty, leaving you on the hook for any damages they sustain. The confidence that any losses are not the consequence of carelessness comes from routine cleaning.
- To make it more durable- Maintaining your panels will extend their longevity and lengthen the life of the entire system. To guarantee they are shielded from dust and grime that could harm them over time, you could also use various cleaning agents.
- To increase the aesthetic attractiveness of your property- Any clients or visitors who notice dirty solar panels may assume that the business is not well-kept. Regular cleaning could improve the aesthetics of your space.
- To boost ROI Time - The cost of installing panels may be costly, so you may want to make sure that you see a return on your investment. Irregular panel cleaning might extend the time it takes to see a ROI.
- To Inspect- You get a chance to inspect and assess the state of your panels when you clean them regularly.
What steps should be followed in cleaning solar panels?
You'll eventually make the decision to cleanse your solar panels. Perhaps there is too much dirt accumulation, or you simply wish to adhere to the advice. Solar panels can be difficult to clean with water. It can be messy, takes too much time, and could harm the panels. Fortunately, a few easy tips can ensure that your solar panels look fantastic for years.
Here are some techniques for cleaning solar panels.
- Robotics- It is a cutting-edge technology that is being applied to clean solar panels. Robots are automatic machines that are programmed in a way to carry out particular tasks. Robotic solar panel cleaning is an efficient and time-saving technique.
- Brushes and Scrubbers Without Soap- Brushes and scrubbers without soap are composed of organic materials. So, the bristles of these brushes are composed of bamboo, a natural fiber. The panels can be cleaned with them without any residue being left behind.
- Creating Vibrations- Creating vibration is the finest method for cleaning solar panels, as it doesn't require water or any other toxic chemicals. Additionally, it's fairly simple and doesn't call for any specific tool. This technique uses strong frequency vibrations to remove the grime and grease from your solar panel's surface without disturbing the internal functioning.
- Nanoparticle Coatings- Using nanoparticle coatings especially made for cleaning solar panels is another method of cleaning your panels. An electrostatic spray cannon or roller is used on both glass and metal surfaces.
- Manual Cleaning- The popular technique used by users is manual cleaning of solar panels. A lawn hose, some water, sponges, is all that you need.
What are the precautions that are to be taken while cleaning the solar panels?
- If necessary, make sure to read the owner's manual on how to shut down the system prior to cleaning.
- Try to avoid going up on the roof. It's dangerous for your panels as well as you.
- The squeegeeing procedure will go more quickly and easily if any loose dirt is brushed off before showering them with water.
- Avoid using metal, abrasive, or detergent-containing items. On a solar panel, scratches can cast shadows and reduce efficiency. Use only clean water and soft silicone brush or sponges.
Solar panel maintenance is a crucial component of your domestic power system. Your solar panels may need regular cleaning to get back to optimal performance if you detect a decline in power output or a peak power variance. Cleaning solar panels may increase their life and enhance the quantity of electricity they produce.
In conclusion, cleansing your solar panels on a monthly basis is quite affordable and doesn't take much time, so be sure not to neglect this significant investment in your home.
Looking for solar panel suppliers in Chennai? Wait no more! Nantech is your best option. Let us know your requirements. Call us right away, and the rest will be handled by us.